- Parent Category: Articles about Heating and Cooling in the Algarve Articles about Heating and Cooling in the Algarve
The Algarve's humid climate causes many homes to suffer from damp and mould. Humidity can create an uncomfortable indoor ambience - and an unhealthy one. Dehumidifiers are commonly used but the best solution is better ventilation. There are various ways to achieve this, varying in sophistication -
- Simple vent-holes in the walls – better to have 2 for air-flow. But the disadvantage is they allow the outside air temperature to enter, therefore making home heating and cooling less effective / efficient.
- Solar ventilators: useful for south-facing walls, a small wall-mounted solar panel generates power to drive an electric ventilator.
- Air conditioning: many better-quality systems nowadays have a dehumidify function that runs independent of the heating/cooling.
- Mitsubishi 'Lossnay' system – ducted within a false ceiling, this energy-efficient system removes humid/stale air, replacing it with fresh air from outside – but transfers the heat / coolness of the outgoing air to the incoming, to maintain the same indoor temperature.